Monday, October 12, 2009

AMAZING Cornbread and Omlets in a bag

Yes, I am still alive! I haven't posted for forever, and I am sorry. I think that we are all at different times and seasons of our lives, and I am in a busy one!!! I do have good intentions for posting, because I take pictures of my food all the time. I just can't hit the next step of actually posting it. Maybe next year! For now, I am just going to do what I can. I am posting this yummy cornbread recipe because it has been so highly requested. I got it from the talented Melanie at www.mykitchencafe.blogspot.com . She has got an amazing blog and this cornbread is triple amazing! You will want to throw away all of those packaged cornbread mixes. This cornbread will blow you away. I served it at our annual family Halloween party over the weekend and got many compliments. So thank you to Melanie for sharing this recipe. It is moist, sweet, and delicious! You do not want to miss out on this cornbread. I had to make it again yesterday so that we could have some leftovers. LOVE IT!!!

Cornbread
From: Melanie at My Kitchen Cafe

½ cup cornmeal
1 ½ cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 ¼ cup milk

Add dry ingredients, make a well and add oil, butter, eggs, and milk into the center. Stir until just mixed (batter will be runny - don't be alarmed!). Bake in an 8” square pan at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. This doubles perfectly for a 9X13-inch pan.

***I like to drizzle honey all over the cornbread after baking. You know this is a good cornbread, because the honey seeps right into the bread and doesn't just drizzle off the sides like the packaged cornbread mixes.

I like to make my dry ingredients and store in a ziploc so that I have it on hand and all ready to just add my wet ingredients.

Next: Omlets in a Bag


This second recipe is for Omlets in a bag. My sister got this recipe years ago off of the Utah talk show called Good Things Utah. These omlets get cooked perfectly in a ziploc baggie and they are so easy to make. We love to make these for dinner. Our chickens are now producing eggs, so we are always eating eggs. This is a great way to get eggs into your diet, or to use all of your eggs. This is nice for your picky eaters out there. They can tell you what they want in their own bag...personalized omlets! Just perfect!

Omlets in a Bag
From: Good Things Utah

Quart Freezer Ziploc bags
Eggs
Sausage, Bacon, or Ham
Chedder Cheese
Green Pepper
Onion
Tomatoes
Mushrooms

Directions: In large pot bring about 3 inches of water to a boil. Choose how many eggs you want to eat. I usually always do 2 eggs for each bag, but we have done 3 eggs with great results. It just depends on how hungry you are. Crack your eggs into the bag. Chop up your add-ins and add desired amount in the bag with the eggs. When you have all of your toppings in, seal the bag releasing all of the air. Mash the eggs and incorporate the add-ins by squeezing the bag. When water is boiling put your bags into your pot. I would only do 4 bags at a time. Cook for a total of 12-15 minutes, flipping half way. They are done when you can't see any egg oozing. I open my bag to make sure they are done. Plop onto your plate and enjoy a perfectly cooked omlet!!! Loved these omlets served with the cornbread. I also love it with cheddar biscuits.