Monday, August 24, 2009

Joan Hassols quotWell Preservedquot




Every summer I pick up my copy of "Well Preserved" and take a journey to Cape Cod. I have never been there personally but I have been there through the words and images in Joan's book. I imagine myself as her assistant, standing there stirring a huge pot of marmalade - waiting for my next instructions. You see, Joan's book which was published in 1998 is full of training and information that challenges us to "put up some jam" and learn new things! As I read this book I am inspired to cook, bake and dream of one day having the time to take up canning again. Her recipes and creative combinations of fruits go way beyond the ordinary. I was sorry to recently read on another blog that Joan had passed away in 2001.

Now you must try these muffins: they are her "Morning Glory Muffins!
You will need: 1 cup canola oil, 3 eggs, beaten, 2 cups grated carrots, 1 grated apple, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, 1 8oz can crushed pineapple - including the juice, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, 1 1/4 cups sugar, 1 Tb ground cinnamon, 2 tsp baking soda
In a large bowl, mix the oil, eggs, carrots, apple, raisins, nuts, coconut, pineapple and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Combine and spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake at 400 degrees in a preheated oven for 20 minutes! Makes 18 "Texas sized" muffins or 36 regular-sized ones (high alt: less 2 Tb sugar, less 1/2 tsp baking soda)